I have received a number of requests from elected officials, concerned citizens and the media for the documents connected to this controversy. On this page, I have archived all the documents I have available relating to Gemini/Planned Parenthood’s secrecy and Steve Trombley and Planned Parenthood’s public attacks on Fox Valley Families Against Planned Parenthood, as well as some miscellaneous documents. These documents are all PDFs.
Gemini/Planned Parenthood’s Deception
- Planning and Development Committee Minutes 11/16/06
- See the exchange between Alderman Linda Elmore and the “Unnamed Gentleman” from Gemini on page 3, in which she asks him if the building is being built for a specific tenant, and he answers “We’re in negotiations with a tenant; we do not currently have a lease but we still want to move ahead.” See also page 5, where Elmore muses that the medical building will be a “nice buffer” for the neighbors, since such places are “pretty quiet,” and asks again for tenant information; the “Unnamed Gentleman” does not correct Elmore as to the quietness of the facility.
- Gemini Permit Applications
- See page 1 of the permit for signage, dated 3/22/07, where Gemini’s representative writes under Tenant, “unknown at this time” and under Signage Information, “Not known at this time – tenant is not determined”; the sign of course was specifically built for Planned Parenthood’s name and logo (see image at right).
- Gemini/PP Public Notice of IFA Meeting, 4/20/07
- This is, apparently, the “public notice” that Planned Parenthood/Chicago Area CEO Steve Trombley claims Planned Parenthood and Gemini made as to their connection. It was published in the classifieds of the Chicago Sun-Times a month after the sign permit above, and five months after the Planning and Development Committee Meeting. Also available in enlarged version.
- Illinois Finance Authority Public Notice, 5/4/07
- The Illinois Finance Authority published this public notice about their May 8 meeting, which included consideration of a request by Planned Parenthood for some kind of special financing for their project in Aurora and another location.
- Illinois Finance Authority Board Meeting Minutes, 5/8/07
- This meeting on the 80th floor of an office building in downtown Chicago is what Steve Trombley claims was all the “public hearing” due to the people of Aurora about the abortion clinic coming to 3051 E. New York Street, 37 miles away.
- Chicago Tribune: “Abortion clinic built under radar”—7/27/07
- In this article, Planned Parenthood/Chicago Area CEO Steve Trombley is quoted, “Frankly, I’m surprised we were able to keep it a secret so long.”
- Gemini Articles of Incorporation, 5/13/05 and 4/27/06
- These documents from the Illinois Secretary of State show that “Gemini Office Development” was formed on May 13, 2005 and “Gemini Office Management” on April 27, 2006.
- Tessitori Memo on the Special use Permit Requirement—09/27/07
- At the September 25 City Council meeting, Aurora citizens reported a finding by attorney Peter Breen, corroborated by private Aurora zoning attorney Vince Tessitori, that in order to use their building as a not-for-profit medical clinic, Planned Parenthood was required to obtain a special use permit, which involved public notice and public hearings. Vince Tessitori’s September 27 memo confronts the City’s September 26 announcement that no such permit is required.
Planned Parenthood’s Attacks on FVFAPP
- Letter from Steve Trombley to the City Countil, 9/5/07
- Most of Planned Parenthood/Chicago Area CEO Steve Trombley’s three-page letter to the Mayor and Aldermen is devoted to railing against Joe Scheidler and the leadership of FVFAPP, including a list of violent crimes Trombley says were “proven at trial,” a reference to NOW v. Scheidler. Trombley does not disclose that the jury was never asked which acts led to their verdict, nor that the verdict was ultimately overturned in the U.S. Supreme Court twice (9-1 decision in 2003, 8-0 decision in 2006).
- An Open Letter to the Citizens of Aurora
- In his “open letter,” Planned Parenthood/Chicago Area CEO Steve Trombley characterizes FVFAPP as “anti-abortion activists with a history of advocating illegal and sometimes violence behavior” and insists that Planned Parenthood has done nothing wrong. Here Trombley claims the IFA meeting in Chicago May 8 constitutes adequate public disclosure of the true identity of Gemini Development Corp., despite the fact that for 10 months prior that identity had been hidden from city officials—deliberately, if we are to take Trombley at his word in the July 27 Chicago Tribune article (see above).
- My Response to Trombley’s Letter to the City Council
- I considered it my duty to as both a son and as the coordinator of FVFAPP to respond to Steve Trombley’s attacks. I informed the Council that the pro-life side was ultimately vindicated in NOW v. Scheidler (which Trombley did not mention by name), and questioned Trombley’s notion of “full disclosure”—both as to the pro-life community and as to the Gemini controversy.
- Full Page “Extremists” Ad, Aurora Beacon, 9/10/07
- With a headline reading “Don’t let the extremists deny vital health care to the people of Aurora” above a picture of an abortion clinic destroyed by arson in 1986, this ad declares that the leadership of FVFAPP “have a well-documented history of advocating violence” and dredges up allegations from the 1998 NOW v. Scheidler RICO trial. Planned Parenthood fails to disclosed that noone was ever convicted of the arson pictured, and that <cite>NOW v. Scheidler</cite> was ultimately decided in favor of the pro-life side in the U.S. Supreme Court in 2003 (8-1) and 2006 (8-0). More importantly, the leadership of FVFAPP were not parties to that lawsuit.
- Contractors That Worked on the Gemini/PP Building
- This list of contractors who worked on the Gemini/Planned Parenthood Building at 3051 E. New York Street, Aurora was compiled from permit applications received through the Freedom of Information Act and from photographs of contractor vehicles taken June 26 and June 28, 2007