There’s an all-day prayer vigil for Terri Schiavo Saturday, March 12, at the Woodside Hospice in Pinellas Park, FL. Ann and I were invited, but we have other engagements that day. But our prayers are with Terri, whose feeding tube has been ordered removed at 1 p.m. Friday, March 18.
Last Ditch Efforts for Terri
Thursday the judge ruled that Florida’s social services agency cannot intervene to delay the removal of the feeding tube. Meanwhile, a San Diego businessman has offered Terri’s husband, Michael, $1 million if he’ll transfer the legal right to decide her treatment to her parents, who want to keep her alive.
Also in the works is an effort by Rep. Dave Weldon (R FL ) to apply the principle of habeas corpus to Terri’s case, to provoke a federal probe into whether she is wrongfully being denied liberty by the Florida court that has ordered her death. It would be called the “Incapacitated Person’s Legal Protection Act.”
Weldon said Terri should be afforded he same Constitutional protection of due process that death row inmates have access to. In cases like these, mistakes are not subject to correction. Weldon is using the 14th Amendment in his argument.
Holy Father Recovering
Good news: Pope John Paul II plans to return to the Vatican in time for the start of Holy Week Palm Sunday, March 20. Of course, it all depends on doctors’ orders, but the Holy Father has special powers of persuasion.
Parker Defends Moms and Dads
In a recent Chicago Tribune article Kathleen Parker defended Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts who recently said that it is better for children to have a mother and a father, rather than same sex parents. Romney was violently and viciously attacked by the liberal Boston Globe who painted him as a hate-mongering radical right wing nut.
Kathleen, in her own off-hand reasonable way, defends the concept of mom and dad families and it is delightful defense. It makes all the sense in the world, but is written with a special parker flare.
A Real Bishop
Bishop Fabian Bruskewitz of Lincoln Nebraska has permission from Rome to excommunicate local Catholics who belong to groups such as Call to Action, Planned Parenthood, Catholics for a Free Choice, The Masons and seven other anti-Catholic groups Catholics belonging to twelve heretical groups have two months to quit them, or they can no longer receive Holy Communion or be buried in the Church. They do have access to confession.
There’s a Bishop!
The Bible and Homosexuality
As same-sex marriage destroys the Anglican and other liberal churches, here is what God has to say about it in the Bible:
- Leviticus 18:l4: “I am the Lord. You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination.”
- Leviticus 20:13: “If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.”
- St. Paul’s Letter to the Romans, 1:26: “For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use of what is against nature. Likewise also men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.”
- And St. Paul’s First Letter to the Corinthians 6:9:11: “Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the Kingdom of God? ?Do not be deceived, neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers nor homosexuals nor sodomites will inherit the Kingdom of God.”
- All these quotations are from the King James Protestant version of the Bible. The Catholic edition is exactly the same.
These excerpts are in Fr. Ted Colleton’s column in the March 2005 edition of The Interim in defense of Canadian Bishop Fred Henry, who is being viciously attached for his adherence to the teachings of Christianity and the Christian Bible.
The Catechism of the Catholic Church (1995) adds that Sacred Scripture presents homosexual acts as “acts of grave depravity, intrinsically disordered, contrary to the natural law and under no circumstances can the homosexual lifestyle be approved.”